Recent Posts

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Hungry for Change ... Time to Create A Rainbow Kitchen

Available on DVD and/or Book
I recently watched a fabulous documentary called Hungry for Change (by the producers of Food Matters), which in my opinion should be required viewing for all kids and adults. The film details, in a very people friendly way, why we are dealing with an obesity epidemic in America. This in-depth look at today's food industry and how the dieting paradigm is flawed, is so revealing. I also appreciated the inspiring interviews and testimonials of those who were featured in the film who have struggled with obesity and/or major health issues, and how they have transformed their lives through better nutrition and changing their relationship with food. 

When I was fifteen, I went to work at a French restaurant in Beverly Hills as a part-time crepe cooker. Being their youngest employee, I became somewhat of a mascot to this quaint little restaurant. And because of my passion for cooking (and skills), I was quickly promoted to the main kitchen within 6 months where I began teaching managers in training how to prepare the signature dishes.

I loved the excitement of being part of this crazy restaurant family and enjoyed interesting encounters with the likes of Groucho Marks, Warren Beatty and Joni Mitchell. I ended up leaving the restaurant business at 19, but never lost my passion for preparing fresh food.  

As a holistic practitioner, coaching clients about nutrition is has been part of my job over the last 25 years? My advice is simple: eat fresh and organic and be a conscious consumer. Many challenge my advice with, it's so expensive, and/or I don't have time. However, when I explain my weekly routine and menu plan (and it's potential cost), clients are always amazed.

While most of my friends and clients assume I'm a vegetarian, I'm sorry to report, I'm not. Not because I wouldn't like to be, but because I had a vaccine after my daughter was born, which left me with severe allergies to nuts, legumes, beans, seeds and foods rich in B-vitamins and amino acids. So if you have objections, or a judgment about recipes that include (sustainable and responsible) fish and poultry, then you should probably move on to a different foodie blog.
 
Many of my clients/friends are intimidated by my presence in their kitchens because they are afraid I'll look in the cabinets and see all the foods with preservatives, chemicals and dyes. I’m always puzzled by this fear … if they are so embarrassed, why don't they change their eating habits?
 
My neighbor's front yard organic garden
A Few Rules to Shop By - Eating Clean Food
If you are eating fish, poultry or meat, the most important thing to remember is ... to eat with a conscience, by purchasing the most sustainable and responsible options available. I will do my best to always identify where the products are coming from to help you in your process of learning how to buy as a conscious consumer.

So Lets Go Shopping …
I usually start my week by going to the local Farmer’s Market on Sunday morning with $25 in my pocket. If it’s your first time at a local Farmer’s Market, my best suggestion is to go through the market first and find all the organic farmers. Inspect and sample their veggies and fruits to see which ones taste the best and then determine which farmers have the most reasonable prices. Once you have established this groundwork, you’re good to go. I try and support as many farmers as possible, while always keeping my own best interests at heart.

All of the ingredients listed below are organic and non-GMO unless otherwise identified. 

A Few Quick Recipes:

Breakfast: 8-10 minutes to prepare
My favorite cereal is my own granola recipe made with an assortment of organic products:
Nature’s Path – fruit juice sweetened (non-GMO) corn flakes
Barbara’s – fruit juice sweetened (non-GMO) brown rice crisps
Seapoint Dry Roasted Edename - lightly salted (non-GMO) – broken pieces or crushed
Let’s Do Organic shredded coconut (or bulk)
Country Choice Organic oven-toasted oats (or bulk)
Earthbound Farms organic raisins
Trader Joes Organic Soy Essentials Milk – unsweetened (Rice or Almond milk can also be used)

I mix a little of each of the above ingredients together to make my own version of granola (because most granola recipes have nuts, seeds and cane sugar – which I’m allergic to). There are no measurements for creating this mixture; it actually comes out different every time I make a new batch. Have fun creating your own version. Then I top it off with fresh organic fruit (when in season) or frozen Cascadian Farms/Whole Foods or Trader Joes organic brands, usually – raspberries, pomegranates and bananas – this makes for a gourmet breakfast. (Any fruits can be added).
 
Lunch: 10-15 minutes to prepare
Wild Planet’s Wild Albacore Tuna (no salt) – not all tuna is created equal, I’ve found this brand to be the Rolls Royce of tuna and responsibly fished
Redwood Hill Farms – Raw Milk Feta Goat Cheese – crumbled over top
Avocado – sliced in small wedges – quarter of medium size avocado
Red bell pepper – a few thin slices chopped
Red tomato – small quartered, or a few cherry tomato
Artichoke heartsBiona or Monjardin when available
Olive oilBragg, Whole Foods or Napa Valley Naturals - drizzled over the top of tomato/artichoke
Trader Joe’s organic mayonnaise – just a splash to moisten tuna to individual taste before adding all of the other ingredients
Meyer lemon½ (small) squeezed over the top
Simply Organic Herbs dill weed – or fresh herb from the garden
Simply Organic Herbs garlic powder – just a dash
Simply Organic Herbs black ground pepper – to preference

Again, this is a recipe that is designed around personal taste and preference when it comes to how much of each ingredient one uses, so there are no set measurements involved.

I'm not sure how often I'll be able to share my quick rainbow recipes, but feel free to comment or ask questions. Until next time, Bon Appetit!

0 comments:

Post a Comment